Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Trying to understand PubSub

I'm running a few subscriptions on PubSub for things like my name, the name of the company I work for, Scoble and some other things I'm interested in. I had all these running before I even started my blog. Having started my blog I went along to PubSub and added my feed.

On the add a feed page it says:

Get the word out with PubSub! After you've listed your blog/RSS feed with PubSub, all your new entries will be instantly matched against all the subscriptions in our user base and we'll notify them within seconds that you've got something relevant to say.

So I expected that after a day or so (to give the site a chance to add me to the database) if I wrote "Scoble" in a post it would appear in my PubSub subscription for "Scoble". After 3 days though I'm wondering if something else is going on. Then I noticed this on the subscriptions page:

PubSub subscriptions search press releases, airport feeds and the top 75% of link ranked blogs in order to discover and deliver information that matches your subscription keywords.

Does that mean I have to add my feed AND get into the top 75% of link ranked blogs in order to see what I write appear in a PubSub subscription (where the subscription is made from the home page of the Pubsub site)?

Going into my Pubsub account I see an option to create a subscription to "Weblogs". Here the text says:

Monitor over over 8 million blog postings and news feeds in real time.

So I'm thinking that a subscription here might not restrict me only to the top 75% of link ranked blogs. As an experiment I've set up another subscription to "Scoble" (with a title Scoble - Weblogs Only) and if this all works the way I think it does I'll see this post in my new feed.

I guess the real solution is to get my blog into the top 75% of link ranked blogs.

No comments: