I've been a big fan of David Allen's Getting Things Done approach since I read the book last year. Over recent weeks I was conscious that I'd fallen off the GTD wagon, but over the course of this week I've made a concerted effort to get back on track. Last night before I left the office I achieved an empty Inbox for the first time in several weeks and this morning I took the following steps to take even more control of my Inbox:
A. Open Outlook
B. Tools->Options
C. Click E-mail Options…
D. Click Advanced E-mail Options…
E. Uncheck:
(1) Play a Sound
(2) Briefly change the mouse cursor
(3) Show an envelope in the notification area
(4) Display a New Mail Desktop Alert (default Inbox only)
Scary stuff!
No more e-mails interrupting my chain of thought or the task on which I am currently focused.
I picked this advice up from the "What's the next action" blog, which is a weblog totally devoted to Getting Things Done, but it originally came from Microsoft blogger Omar Shahine. Omar recommended reading an article called "The Tyranny of Email" which I intend to do when I get some time later this week. For now, having created my list of next actions, it's time to get focused on them.
Wednesday, March 30, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment