Friday, March 25, 2005

StatCounter

I just keep finding things I can do with my blog that:

(a) sort of make me look like a liar or a fool
(b) are incredibly cool in the nerdy sense of the word.

Was it only the day before yesterday that I wrote:

Interestingly, being semi-Scobleized does not appear to have brought any traffic to my blog, based on the only measure I have on Blogger which is whether anyone leaves comments.

So this moring I find StatCounter. Check out the sidebar on my blog. I have stats!

The process of setting up an account, configuring options and modifying my blog template was all very straighforward. I think the whole process took less than 20 minutes. The stats provided are comprehensive and easy to interpret. And it's free, up to a point.

The only "catch" is if you start to get over 9,000 pageloads each day you are outside what they can sustain as a free business model and they we will then ask you to either remove the code or upgrade.

Of course there's not a lot of point in getting hung up on stats on a blog with an rss feed. If anyone did decide to subscribe to my feed, then I will get the traffic count from the visit they make where they subscribe, but the website may never see them again.

So now I'm going to say that whilst my blog is hosted by Blogger there is no way to get statistics on my subscribers or readership. Let's see how long it is before I find out that isn't true either.

No comments: