Friday, October 15, 2010

Journal for Thursday 14th October

All the Chilean miners have been successfully rescued. What a great party they are having in celebration, by the looks of it. The country has really got behind the rescue and they deserve the spotlight.

Wow! Some people are never happy! Today I seem to keep falling over complaints on blogs about the blanket nature of the coverage of the Chilean rescue on Sky and the BBC, to the exclusion of all other news. Spent the morning falling asleep in my chair, apart from a quick trip out to the supermarket. Productive though, managed to get everything I needed on the list. This afternoon I have been a bit more alive and managed to spend a couple of hours in the office which have resulted in me feeling a bit better in myself. Managed to get to that "in the zone" feeling where I was doing a few things which felt useful, including solving a fairly long standing annoyance with my Chrome web browser. Found some useful presentations which might help things along at work and some PDF files that I've parked in my Dropbox to read later on which might give me a few ideas. I'm thinking that it might be time to get my own domain and install a wordpress site or something along those lines. A technical challenge to an extent but only because it's not something I've done before. I will research it more over the next few days to see if I really want to take that on.

Playing with mp3 tunes.com, which provides a 2GB free mp3 locker (to upload mp3's into) and a free app called Airband to stream those mp3's to my iPhone or iPad. I have a bunch of audiobook mp3's where this might be a better solution than the iTunes approach. Anyway, will have a bit of light relief experimenting with that. I guess the advantage is 2GB extra space on the iPhone and iPad for music as the locker takes strain, the downside is that the playback might be patchy on a poor network connection. It should be fine at home on the home network, away from home it's a gamble. I will test out further next chemo day in hospital to see how it does on a 3G connection.

Bugger. I burnt the pizza. Well, not exactly burned but it was a bit dark and crispy. That's two cooking disasters in three days. I promised yesterday to explain how to move documents into applications on the iPad. I found a simple tutorial on how to move documents from your PC or laptop (the device which has your iTunes application on it) into the Pages application (on the iPad). It will only take a minute or two to follow the richly illustrated example and the important thing is to understand the principle... It could be any App that has the capability and for document you can read "any file in the format or formats that the App can use". So for the Pages App it could be a word document (.doc) or for VLC app I talked about yesterday it could be an avi file or for GoodReader it could be a PDF file. Anyway here is the tutorial...

http://www.simplehelp.net/2010/04/03/how-to-import-documents-to-pages-on-your...

I blogged this out separately because I thought it worth it, but here is my solution to the Chrome / PDF problem I have been having... Are you a Google Chrome user? Having trouble viewing PDF files? This has been the major annoyance of my experience with what I have found to be a much quicker browser than Explorer and I finally ran into the fix today. In the browser go to: chrome://plugins/ and enable the PDF viewer. And that's all it needed. Here is the background on the Chrome blog...

http://blog.chromium.org/2010/06/bringing-improved-pdf-support-to-google.html

Posted via email from stevenewson's posterous

No comments: