If you are a dedicated iPad person I want to highly recommend two apps which significantly extend it's functionality.
First up is Splashtop Remote. This app gives you control of your PC from your iPad. It allows you to play your audio and video collection on your iPad without having to load the media to the iPad. In other words it streams your multimedia files from the PC to the iPad. The app is remarkably low priced compared with other apps which provide this type of functionality such as Logmein Ignition.
My only slight wish list issue would be the ability to zoom in and out on the remote screen especially when trying to operate small controls. I found myself occasionally teeing things up on the PC to make life easier so that all I had to do was connect and hit the play button to watch the film I had already decided I wanted to watch. In this sense I was taking advantage of the streaming function but not particularly the remote control aspect of the app. Not exactly behaviour consistent with the design principle but needs must etc etc.
The second app is StreamtoMe. This app can be used on either your iPad or iPhone. In a nutshell this app allows you to stream your multimedia collection from your PC to your TV. The first thing you need is a free app installed on your PC called ServeToMe. This permits the PC to serve up media files to the iPad or iPhone. On the iPad you connect to the PC app over your ŵireless network, connect your device to your TV using a component cable and hey presto you can serve up your iTunes library or your video files from your PC and play them on the TV. Again a remarkably low priced app for the functionality provided.
ServeToMe is a bit fiddly to setup manually, you need your PC's IP address and you have to give permissions to the folders on your PC that contain your music and video files but it's a one-off process and only takes a minute or two. StreamtoMe I found to be entirely intuitive to use, very simple and straightforward.
These are two exciting apps at a great price that give you control over your music and video libraries and the capability to play your files where you want them.
Posted via email from stevenewson's posterous
First up is Splashtop Remote. This app gives you control of your PC from your iPad. It allows you to play your audio and video collection on your iPad without having to load the media to the iPad. In other words it streams your multimedia files from the PC to the iPad. The app is remarkably low priced compared with other apps which provide this type of functionality such as Logmein Ignition.
My only slight wish list issue would be the ability to zoom in and out on the remote screen especially when trying to operate small controls. I found myself occasionally teeing things up on the PC to make life easier so that all I had to do was connect and hit the play button to watch the film I had already decided I wanted to watch. In this sense I was taking advantage of the streaming function but not particularly the remote control aspect of the app. Not exactly behaviour consistent with the design principle but needs must etc etc.
The second app is StreamtoMe. This app can be used on either your iPad or iPhone. In a nutshell this app allows you to stream your multimedia collection from your PC to your TV. The first thing you need is a free app installed on your PC called ServeToMe. This permits the PC to serve up media files to the iPad or iPhone. On the iPad you connect to the PC app over your ŵireless network, connect your device to your TV using a component cable and hey presto you can serve up your iTunes library or your video files from your PC and play them on the TV. Again a remarkably low priced app for the functionality provided.
ServeToMe is a bit fiddly to setup manually, you need your PC's IP address and you have to give permissions to the folders on your PC that contain your music and video files but it's a one-off process and only takes a minute or two. StreamtoMe I found to be entirely intuitive to use, very simple and straightforward.
These are two exciting apps at a great price that give you control over your music and video libraries and the capability to play your files where you want them.
Posted via email from stevenewson's posterous
No comments:
Post a Comment