Sunday, November 12, 2006

The fedaration against bullets (FAB)

For the past year or so I've been interested in my approach to producing presentations. Google Desktop Search tells me that Robert Scoble blogged about Beyond Bullets in March 2005, although I think the source of Robert's post was this post by Steve Rubel.

I mention this because I can't believe I haven't blogged about Beyond Bullets before now. I occasionally run across posts like this one, which makes a headline out of the hypothesis that bad PowerPoint is costing something like $250m dollars a day in wasted time whilst the fine print points out that the problem isn't the software, just the way that people use it. And there's any number of this type of post with a headline about the many ways to create better PowerPoint but when you get to the source you find it's good advice only if you're going to keep approaching presentations in the same old way.

Beyond Bullets was the first time that I'd come across a radically different approach to PowerPoint. Here is my short version of the book:

Bullet points are easy but they are an obstacle. They make the atmosphere formal and stiff. They tend to make people confused and unclear. They "dumb down" critical thinking. The alternative? Tell a story; (1) write a script to focus your ideas. (2) storyboard the script to clarify ideas and provide the foundation for the words and visuals (3) engage with your audience.

When I first read the book I mind mapped my learning. The mind maps I created with supporting files are available here. If you have trouble downloading drop me a mail at steve.newson@gmail.com and I'll email the file to you.

Cliff Atkinson, the author of Beyond Bullets, also writes the Beyond Bullets blog, although it's been silent since July, 2006. I hope Cliff will blog again in the future. If you're seriously interested in creating better presentations then I highly recommend the book.

UPDATE: Kathy Sierra who writes the awesome Creating Passionate Users blog has some great advice in this post about adding graphics to your blog, book or presentation.

Tags: , , , , ,

No comments: