Getting back into the habit of blogging I just found my "Blog This Later" folder, which is where I stick incoming blog posts that I found interesting enough that I wanted to blog about them but didn't have time to write a post there and then.
I found a gem from several months ago, which is actually two posts from the 43Folders blog about building a smarter to-do list. Here are some things I've snipped from the two articles that I found useful...
(1) Keeping an updated accounting of the things I'm committed to, is a smart thing to do.
(2) A to-do item should not be framed as project (e.g. create presentation) it should be framed as the next action, “the next physical, visible activity that needs to be engaged in, in order to move the current reality toward completion (e.g produce 4 draft ideas for the theme of my presentation)”
(3) If you frame a to-do as a physical activity it's easier to visualise yourself doing it
(4) Phrase the to-do in a form like: “VERB the NOUN with the OBJECT.” So, instead of "Year-end report,” use the more accurate “Download Q3 spreadsheet from server.” And, instead of “Get with Fred,” try “Email Fred on Monday to schedule monthly meeting.”
(5) Keep the to-do list about the now, use a separate list (someday/maybe list) for things that can't be addressed yet.
(6) Reflect on the list to check that items on it are the best use of your time, that you are the best person to do the task, that the task should be done now, and that the task really does need to be done.
(7) Treat the things on your list as a serious comittment.
(8) When you get an item that get's stuck, try a to-do that addresses why the item is stuck.
The full articles are here and here.
Actually the more I think about stuff like this, the more I think I want to focus my blog on Getting Things Done (the David Allen approach to stress free productivity), the visualisation of information using Mind Mapping (I use MindManager software from Mindjet), and personal productivity hacks. At the end of the day though I can always write about whatever is on my mind.
Technorati Tags: GTD, MindJet, MindManager.
Tuesday, December 20, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Thank for the pointers, Steve. Nice summary. Regarding the focus of your blog - go for it!
Post a Comment