Monday, July 17, 2006

Memories of my youth...

I recently set up a Technorati watchlist to keep an eye out for any mention of my hometown of Wallsend. Wallsend is so named as it's the town at the end of Hadrian's Wall.

Over the weekend the watchlist turned up this nugget from a fellow Geordie in exile, which included this fascinating photograph by Norman Dunn...















When this picture was taken in 1969 I would have been around 7 or 8 years old. I have a vague recollection from about that age of seeing a vessel launched at the Swan Hunter yard and an overwhelming memory of the sound of chains dragging over the ground and a colossal storm of dust being generated, but to be honest I don't know if the launch I recall was the Esso Northumbria or not.

In any case, it's a small world.

Tags:

No comments: