Saturday, June 10, 2006

Maven Mapping

Through my participation in the Yahoo group for users of Mindjet's MindManager software I have found (and subscribed to) Maven Mapper's Information, the blog of Brett Bumeter. I've been reading back through his blog over the last couple of days to find that Brett writes intelligently about MindManager, as well as the latest trends in Knowledge Management, software and gadgets; all topics which are close to my heart.

I noted that we share similar views on:

(a) Online Meeting Software - Webex is expensive and clunky and for me GoToMeeting provides a better experience, more cost effectively.

(b) Visual Project Maps - as a potentially interesting solution to implementing project management methodology. I have a copy and and will probably write more on this product once I've given it a more thorough evaluation.

(c) NASA. I'm a big fan, and have been since childhood. As my career moved into project management I always looked to NASA as one of the pinnacles of the project management professsion. After all, these were the people who project managed putting a man on the moon.

Maven: Malcolm Gladwell used the term is his book The Tipping Point to describe those who are intense gatherers of information and impressions, and so are often the first to pick up on new or nascent trends. Gladwell also suggests that mavens may act most effectively when in collaboration with connectors - i.e.: those charismatic people who have wide network of casual aquaintances by whom they are trusted, often a network that crosses many social boundaries and groups. Connectors can thus easy and widely distribute the advice or insight of a maven.

Tags: , , ,

No comments: