Monday, February 08, 2010

A different perspective on Alistair Campbell's unplanned moment...

I've been listening and reading some of the utter tosh being written about Alistair Campbell and his "unplanned moment" while being interviewed by Andrew Marr on Sunday morning. Some of the more cynical commentators have suggested that it was some kind of calculated act, some even going so far as to suggest that he was road testing an election ploy for Labour. 

I think something much less sinister was going on. Alistair even pointed to it when he spoke about the fact that he wouldn't take a full time role on behalf of Labour in the election. In his past Alistair suffered a nervous breakdown. I know from bitter experience that the medical profession don't particularly acknowledge the phrase "nervous breakdown" and perhaps Alistair himself doesn't use the term. He has said that he's suffered / is suffering from depression. 

And that's what I saw when Alistair froze. He just lost his way for a moment and his self confidence temporarily deserted him. He experienced an uncomfortable moment of mental tension. It's extremely disconcerting when it happens and I felt sorry for Alistair that it happened so publicly. The media went into a frenzy for the rest of the day, although I think that had more to do with old scores from his days at Downing Street.

I have a lot of time for Alistair in the respect that he's a role model for those suffering from depression and what is possible despite such a debilitating medical condition. He managed to hold down one of the most high pressured jobs in politics for a number of years and has then gone on to be a successful author. There are a great many people who hate him for his politics and his role in Iraq. I take the view that Alistair is a man of principles and deeply held convictions. I might not always agree with him but I respect his right to defend his corner.  

Posted via email from stevenewson's posterous

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amiable brief and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you seeking your information.