I only broke the day with Ollie whilst he met prospective adopters. Sadly for Ollie it wasn't to be his day. The family that came to see Ollie were interested in a collie with what I would refer to as breed standard collie colouring and funnily enough a dog with more energy that Ollie - so closer in behaviour to a little Brynn or the appropriately named Zippy. To be honest I have some sympathy with the issue of colouring. If people have a mental picture of the breed then that's what they are going to want. It's an easy thing to say that this is a bit superficial, but we all make many choices in our lives that are about superficial look or feel. I also believe that given time and exposure people can eventually see past the superficial and find that some of the finest of the breed in terms of intelligence and companionship are the least like the breed standard in terms of looks. I know I'm biased but I have formed quite an attachment to Ollie and he will make a wonderful companion when he finds his forever home. The bit that didn't compute was that they wanted a high energy dog, because that was what they had experienced when meeting the breed previously. Their mental picture was of a dog whose temperement was closer in spirit to Zippy. As much as I love Zippy who has a super, super, personality I personally would want a forever companion much more like Ollie. Zippy is a dog that would have you forever on the go with a capacity for exercise that somedays you could just never meet. Ollie is much more of a companion animal. Someone who settles down into a walk with you. Ollie also has great skill in untangling his lead. There are some dogs you walk that you have to constantly do this for as they tie themselves up in the lead. It's not that Ollie doesn't sometimes do this himself, it's that most of the time he can also untangle himself. And there's a great sign of wicked intelligence. He's also a very gentle animal. Very considerate when you give him a treat, he doesn't snatch at your fingers like some dogs and worry you if you're still going to have your fingers when the treat is taken. And Oliie just gives the warmest collie hugs. In short he's a magnificent animal and the family that he chooses will be lucky to have him. Don't let Paul & Sarah hear me saying this, but I was almost glad he didn't go today so that I may get to spend time with him again. It won't last though, Ollie is sure to go soon.
What I did find out today was that my Nike Air "Michelin Man" coat is not as waterproof as my mental picture of it is. For short showers or a bit of time in rain, it is basically waterproof. And very warm. But there seems to come a point if you spend a protracted period of time in the wet that it becomes sort of waterlogged and the waterproof protection seems to give out or be overwhelmed. So the coat was fine until about two in the afternoon, when suddenly I found myself soaked through. The good news was that I had my change of clothes with me so didn't have to drive home feeling wet and miserable. So a visit to an outdoors shop to get a new coat for the winter season seems on the cards. A young lady who has become a very special friend in a short space of time has commented (adversely) on my usual (non rain) walking attire - which is a bog standard cotton traders fleece - so I will have to arrange for her to accompany on the trip to pick something that whilst waterproof is also aesthetically pleasing, or at least not a fashion disaster. What has worked out really well is my bargain walking boots, also from Cotton Traders. First off, and quite importantly, they are what they said on the tin. Waterproof. And three weeks in, I think I finally have them broken in. I was having a bit of trouble getting used to the ankle support but I think I'm past that now and found them incredibly comfortable over quite a long walking session today.
Anyway, got back home safe and sound. Felt great after a long hot shower and have settled in to have a catch up with Strictly and the X Factor. I think both show made the right choice this week.
No comments:
Post a Comment