Friday, February 24, 2006

Tilting at windmills

Dave Winer has written a contribution today entitled "Hate in the Blogosphere". In it he notes that the level of venom being directed at him on a personal level has crossed the line. I've watched this in my aggregator for days without really having a handle on what exactly is the issue, but understanding that their are some deep feelings on both sides. What I've mainly seen until today though has been passion.

Sidenote: Although Dave's post turned up in my aggregator and I've used the link within the post that arrived in my aggregator, the link isn't working. It will take you to today's Scripting News but the essay on Hate isn't there.

I noticed the other day Robert Scoble was being subjected to a level of personal attack in the comments on his blog that I found offensive. Over the past few days I've been pretty sick with a cold and chest infection and given that I had some time on my hands whilst being laid up in bed I tilted at windmills.

In other words I engaged with a few of the more unpleasant commenters and I engaged them on Scoble's blog in the comments. I was pleased to see a few people jump in and support my view but I was also mildly suprised by the level of apathy.

I fear that we will lose good and important conversationalists and contributors who will be drowned out by those who make it their mission to shout louder or whose aim is merely to be offensive. It's a form of mob rule. It's anarchy. I agree we shouldn't tolerate it, but I'm not sure what we do about it?

Technorati Tags: , ,

No comments: