Saturday, December 30, 2006

Ticket to the moon...

I have some vivid memories of watching the moon landings at school as a child. I was just eight years old when Neil Armstrong became the first man to set foot on the moon. When I travelled to Florida on holiday one of the highlights of the trip was the visit to Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral. I guess you could call me a child of the space age.

It was with some sadness, therefore, that I read in this article on CNN about the scale of indifference among 18 to 25 year olds for the NASA vision to return to the moon and then go to Mars.

I guess the good news is that NASA is recognising that is has a problem and therefore is applying some thought to how to turn this around. The article indicates some understanding of what the solution has to manage, but I'm not convinced they have yet found the inspiring, viral idea that will get them to their goal.

I hope they do, before Congress decides the vision has insufficient public support and quietly buries the plans.

Technorati Tags:

No comments: