Saturday, July 23, 2005

Ok, so I've been pretty quiet lately...

As you may have noticed, [but more likely is that you haven't noticed] I've not found the time or enthusiasm to maintain my blog lately. In both writing my blog and reading others blogs it occurred to me that blogs fall into three camps; (1) those that summarise, review and filter content from other blogs with a smattering of commentary on personal experiences with software or other nerdy pursuits [in which category my blog falls], (2) specialist subject blogs and then (3) those who write original material, mainly based on observation of life around them.

Looking at my own blog reading habits and the blogs I now subscribe to, there are one or two A list "aggregator" blogs [Robert Scoble, Tom Peters etc etc], a bunch of blogs that cover specialist subjects which are of interest to me [so this covers a bunch of Project Management, Mind Mapping and Getting Things Done blogs] and then the rest of my subscriptions are to blogs with something original to say [dooce, wil wheaton, Trevor Romain, Thrusher, Susan Bernard etc etc]

I've kind of worked out in my own mind that I could not, and actually do not want, to be a Scoble or Tom Peters or Dave Winer, which is not to say that I don't respect what they do, because I do. I don't think I could write a specialist blog because I see myself as a kind of jack of all trades within my professional disciplines of IT and Project Management rather than someone with a definitive specialty [although I recognise that I might just be blocked here]; and my life just isn't interesting enough to sustain an 'original content' blog.

So I'm kind of stalled with what to do with my blog, although I do occasionally think about what to do next with it. If I ever work it out, I'll go back to posting more often.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Steve,
I, for one, am liking your blog very much. Months ago, when I starting blogging, you were so generous in giving advice and support and still are. For some reason, I never asked for the name of your blog. But now that I know it, I plan on being a constant reader.

I don't think that everyone has to be a specialist or write original content to be interesting. Sometimes, a person is just a good writer--like you--provides helpful information, and has an attitude toward life that others share.

Keep on blogging my friend!

The Humanity Critic said...

Just passing through, I'm liking the blog by the way.